Class of 2K21 Membership Information
The application will open June 8, 2020 at 9:00 am MDT.
What is the Class of 2K21?
The “2K Classes” are groups of debut YA/MG authors who focus on marketing. We pay dues of $275 USD total per person, split between two (or more, if need be) payments. We maintain a private forum, create a website, and commit to 10-15 hours per month to collectively promote our books. Membership is capped at 20 authors, and the 2k Classes have become well-known among librarians and booksellers.
The first 2K Class was founded in 2007 by Greg R. Fishbone and has been a strong promotional network/outlet for debut YA and MG authors every year since. Here are some 2k alumni you might be familiar with: Melissa Marr, Joy McCullough, Rebecca Stead, Sara Zarr, Jo Knowles, Gloria Chao, Nancy Viau, Sydney Salter, Rhonda Hayter, Jeri Smith-Ready, and Jennifer Hubbard, among many other talented authors. Check out some of the books from last year’s class! Bonus–word on the street is that there might be a 2K Alumni group formed in the future.
Here are links to check out the past few years of the Class of 2K websites, books, and members:
Class Mission Statement
The Class of 2K is a community of YA/MG debut novelists banding together to promote their books. Typically, group activities include developing common promotional materials (website, blog, other social media, postcards, brochures, etc.); creating press releases and/or hiring a group publicist; forming panels to speak at conferences (digital or otherwise); and supporting one another while sharing information about the publishing world as we discover it.
We actively encourage applications from Authors of Color and #OwnVoices authors.
1. This must be your first book in YA/MG fiction, and your book must be scheduled for release in 2021.*
2. Your publisher must be listed in Children’s Writers and Illustrators Marketplace or be an SCBWI PAL publisher. Also, your publisher must be based in the USA.
3. You are required to commit 10-15 hours per month to the group and pay the required dues of $275 USD. (Note: half of the payment is due on June 30 and the remainder is due on September 1, unless an alternative payment plan has been worked out.)
4. We are going to repeat that last one, in case your time commitments will not allow for the 10-15 hours per month that is required to help promote. Everyone must commit so Class2K21 can be successful. If that will not work with your schedule, we understand, and kindly ask you to pass. Thank you!
5. Your deal must have been announced in Publisher’s Marketplace or Publisher’s Weekly and have a confirmed 2021 date.**
* If your first publisher did not meet the listed requirement (i.e. self-published, adult book), but your current publisher does, then you can still be considered a “debut” author.
**If your book has SOLD and has a confirmed 2021 pub date, but has not been announced yet, please email us at the below address for details.
How to Apply
If you’d like to join the class, please apply via this link, which will go live on June 8: Class of 2K21 Application Form
If you need more information, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be approved on a first-come-first-served basis (though numbers will be divided evenly between YA and MG authors), and assessed for eligibility. Once assessed, you’ll be notified by email if you’re on the team. Thanks again! We look forward to working together with you!
All the best,
Emily Victoria, 2K21 President
Erica George, Secretary
Kate Foster, Treasurer